Saturday, May 12, 2012

Just in time for Mother's Day!

Happy Mother’s Day everyone! 
 I was really excited to get a surprise in the mail the other day.  It contained my copy of 60 More Quick Baby Knits, published by Sixth and Spring books. 
Photographed by Jack Deutsch
 I have 3 designs in the book.  I couldn’t wait to peek.  I love to see how the garments look photographed, and I always love the way the pictures are styled.  It takes quite a bit of time from the time I submit the garments until the books are published, so I always feel like I am looking at the sweaters for the first time.  I LOVE knitting for babies,and my boys are well out of the baby stage so this project was so much fun.  Baby clothes are a terrific way to try out new techniques, or new yarn without spending too much time or money.  I have to say I was so pleasantly surprised with the Cascade 220 Superwash sport yarn that was used in the book, that I tried to track some down recently for another project.  The colors were rich and varied, and the yarn had a smooth, almost cottony feel. None of these sweaters would ever make a baby feel “itchy".  My patterns are #29 Apple Tree Sweater, #32 Parisian Cardigan, and #46 Argyle vest.  
Photographed by Jack Deutsch
 The Apple Tree sweater and the Parisian Cardigan both have some duplicate stitch embellishment, which is an easy way to liven up plain stockinette. The Parisian Cardigan has a Peter Pan collar.
Photographed by Jack Deutsch
 The Argyle Vest is actually not constructed as a “true” argyle which is intarsia knit with bobbins. Instead the diamond pattern is made in a fair isle technique so that there are only 2 colors used in each row.  Much simpler.  I also deliberately placed a few plain stitches in between the front and back of the vest, so that extra stitches could be added to increase the width, without having to worry about the continuity of the argyle.
Photographed by Jack Deutsch
Photographed by Jack Deutsch



 Do you enjoy baby knitting? Let me know- I'd  love to hear about your tiny projects!


No comments:

Post a Comment