Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Constant Companion

Mr. Bennet:  "You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years.." *

    Absolutely, my husband would concur.  However, he would replace nerves (I think!) with the word knitting. As my knitting  has been my constant companion, so by default has it been my husband's, and my sons'.   Every car trip, no matter how small, begins with me asking where someone  has placed my knitting bag.  By now, they are all resigned to the fact that my knitting bag has a permanent place of honor at the foot of the front seat passenger, regardless of who that might be.


    Packing my knitting bag is a pleasurable task that is an integral part of my daily ritual.  Will it be a quick trip (small bag, no book, travel knitting) or an extended vacation ( large bag, 2 projects, laptop and books, and needle assortment)?  Might I have a break at work and be able to squeeze in a few rows (makeup bag, folded pattern, travel project and crochet hook) or a child's dentist appointment (makeup bag, folded pattern, travel project, crochet hook and design notebook)?
    Each trip requires planning and thought.  Hot weather- cotton, or washable fine wool.  City vacations- simple cables, as there is always time, but rarely good light. Sporting events- rhythmic mindless patterns. And, there must, of course, be room in the bag for any knitting treasures I may be fortunate enough to unearth in the delightful new stores I discover along the way.  My favorite use for the GPS, and  the iPhone is scouting out both a great restaurant and a  great needlework/yarn shop immediately.  I have perfected the art of packing my knitting for travel.  
Wouldn't this be a marvelous time for a knitting trip?

Bergere de France
Hotel de Crillon, Paris
Laduree, Paris
Louvre, Paris
Chanel, Paris
* Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

1 comment:

  1. Paris and knitting....what could be better!

    ReplyDelete